Thursday, January 12, 2012

Exodus Thoughts

This morning in my Bible reading I am in Exodus starting in chapter 17. I am having numerous thoughts as I'm reading and instead of posting short Facebook status updates I thought I would sit down and write them all out here. I think I will do them in "quick hit" fashion.

  • Chapter 17 tells us when Moses raised his arms, the Israelites prevailed in battle. When he grew tired and his arms became weak and lowered, they began losing the battle. It was at this point when Aaron and Hur supported his raised arms for him. God positioned them to be there with Moses. Our walk and our battle is never to be faced alone. We will become tired. When we become tired we can begin to lose our battle. This could be in the area of sin or temptation. Look at those around you and see who God has placed into your life to hold you up. Be honest with those people and let them know when you are weak. You might be surprised at who is waiting to help you keep fighting and winning this fight. 
  • In Chapter 18 Moses is visited by his father-in-law Jethro (and you thought Jethro was just a dumb hillbilly in Beverly Hills). During this visit Jethro observes Moses spending hours upon hours settling disputes between the people. Jethro questions the wisdom in these proceedings. He suggests Moses appoint leaders to handle the smaller disputes and bring the more complicated ones to Moses for guidance. So many times I've witnessed people in leadership, both in the corporate world and also in ministry, who are unable to release decision making to others. If you are a leader or the "head" of a team or department, part of being a good leader is trusting those on your team to make decisions. Will you always agree with their decisions? Probably not. However, this does not mean their choices are necessarily wrong, only different. We must be willing to allow others to operate in their calling by releasing some of our "power" to them. If people are unable to operate in their own creative giftings, then you could be hindering God's call on their life. When we find ourselves unable to trust others to make small decisions, then there is an inner control or power issue we need to examine closer. We have to trust them to bring us the bigger, more difficult decisions, yet allow them freedom in the smaller things.
  • My takeaway from Chapter 19 is a bit strange. In God's conversation with Moses he commands him to tell the people to purify themselves and wash their clothes because in three days the Lord would descend on Mount Sinai. Moses in turn tells the people to wash their clothes and be prepared by the third day. Then he adds, "Do not have sexual relations with women." I checked a couple different translations to make sure it was not just my version that had me confused. I wonder if God said that or did Moses add the "do not have sex with your wife part." 
  • Chapter 20 brings me to the Ten Commandments. I could write on each one, but I don't feel led to do so at this time. I'm only going to touch on the ones that jumped out at me today.
  1. The fifth commandment tells us to honor our father and mother. This seems to be a commandment lost on many people in today's society. I hear so many children speak disrespectfully to their parents. I wish I was only referring to young children or teenagers, but some of the worst offenders are adults. Notice the command is not to honor the actions of our parents, but to honor them or their position as our parents. This command was given before the commands to not murder, commit adultery, steal, or lie. This sin is just as "big" as these others and yet we seem to weigh it as less offensive. The decision to honor my parents was one I had to consciously make a few years ago. No matter what has happened, my dad will always be my dad. If I am unable to show honor to my earthly parents, how can I adequately show honor to my Heavenly Father?
  2. The tenth commandment tells us to not covet our neighbor's house or belongings. In a society of "keeping up with the Jones'," it would seem this is another commandment we have severely forgotten. How many of us see someone talking about their new iPhone and think, "oh man, I wish I had one." Commandment.....broken. OUCH! How much more content would we be in our lives if we focused on being aware of this one commandment? Possessions would lose their value. We would gain more peace inside. We would also begin to fully appreciate the gifts God has given to us instead of striving to attain more and more things.
  3. I laughed aloud when I read verse 19: "You speak to us, and we will listen, " they said to Moses, "but don't let God speak to us, or we will die."  I find this typical of many people today. We would prefer God speak to our Pastor and we will listen to what he has to say, but we don't want God to actually speak to US. Something happens when we listen to the voice of God. The Israelites had it correct because when God speaks directly to you and not through a third person you will die. You begin to die to yourself. You die to the world. When you hear His voice and not the voice of man, your life will change!
So there you have some of my random thoughts. I would love to hear yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment