Friday, January 13, 2012

Resolutions or Just Needed Changes?

I have never been a person for "resolutions." However, when 2012 rolled around I knew there were some things in my life that need to change. Spending so much time with my dad recently has shown me a glimpse of my future if I don't start taking better care of myself physically. Another area I know I need to change is in my Bible reading time. Basically, I need to find that time! With the things coming up in my life this year I know I absolutely need to dig deeper into His word.  I don't want to be distracted from the focus of the vision He is giving to me. To be honest, when I am not reading His word, my vision becomes quite distorted. I realized these two areas of needed change can be combined.

A few weeks ago I asked God to give me a hunger, but not for food. I want a hunger for His word. I have never read the Bible completely through even though many times I have made the attempt. I could have started a Bible "plan" but realized these plans could either move me too slow or too fast. If I'm simply trying to get through a certain number of chapters in a day, I could miss where He wants to speak to me. Some days I will read through numerous chapters and other days He's told me to dwell in one. The first few days of this journey I had to make myself take the time to read. I started by reading at night before bed. Then I realized I need to also be starting my day in His word. After I take the girls to school I come home and immediately begin reading. I'm still reading at night also. In just a week of starting this habit and of asking Him to make me hungry for His word, I find I'm not just picking up my Bible in the morning and at night. I'm picking it up throughout the day. I am now starting to understand why Ruth Graham kept an open Bible in every room of her house!

In addition to this I've been watching the Code Orange Revival online. This is a revival at Elevation Church here in Charlotte, but streaming online. Each of the 12 nights there is a different pastor preaching. Today will be the third day and if at all possible, you should check it out! The website is http://elevationnetwork.com. Last night Jentezen Franklin preached on our legacy to our children and the first night Craig Groeschel preached on being an idiot for Jesus. The live stream starts at 6:12 pm, but they rebroadcast the nights message again at 10:12, 3:12 am, and 12:12 pm the next day (so you still have one more chance to catch last night's message). It was a message EVERY parent needs to hear!

In regards to the changes I need to make physically, I bought myself the Zumba DVD's for Christmas. Exercise has never been a joy of mine, but I do love to dance. I'm only a week into doing the DVD's, but I can tell you it is kicking my behind! The 20 minute workout I did last night was tougher than some of the 40 minute ones! When I first started I was stepping on the scale daily. After a couple days I heard God tell me to put the scale away. He doesn't want me to check it for at least a week because that is not to be my focus!

I'm also being very intentional about the music I play in my home and car. Maybe in some ways I'm doing an experiment of what will happen when I go all in for God. I want more of Him not just this year, but for the rest of my life. I know habits don't become habits until we intentionally make the effort to start the changes. I'm not really sure what is leading me to share this with all of you today. Maybe it's because God has been urging you to make changes in your life. It's scary to change. Quite honestly, it can be terrifying to ask God what He wants for our lives. The idea of reading the Bible may intimidate you. Something happens in us when the scriptures we hear are not delivered through a third party, but straight from God. We begin to notice verses we may have never heard before because they are not popular to use in sermons. As I'm reading through scriptures, God has been prompting me to write more of what He is revealing to me as I read. In addition to reading more I am writing more on my blog. If you do not already subscribe, PLEASE DO! I will be posting there more often. The way this is going there could be more than one post a day!

As I have been typing all this I have been wondering what scripture God wants me to share that could relate to what I've said. I quickly flipped over to Facebook and saw a friend posted a scripture that fits perfectly!

"And they said to one another, Were not our hearts greatly moved and burning within us while He was talking with us on the road and as He opened and explained to us [the sense of] the Scriptures?"  Luke 24:32 AMP

When you ask for the Holy Spirit to minister to you as you read, you will begin to feel movement in your heart. A burning and longing for more of Him will happen. If you don't believe me, I just dare you to try it for ONE WEEK! Who is up for the challenge?


No comments:

Post a Comment