Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rocco and George

Have you ever had the honor of having a front row seat to watching a miracle as it happens? Oftentimes what many people see as a "lucky" event or something that occurs out of being at the right place at the right time, is in reality the result of months, if not years of preparation. It is so easy to see the result of something and overlook all the pain and heartache that preceeded the final event.


I ask these questions because today is a day of absolute excitement for me, but not for anything that really even involves me. Today is the day Rocco and George are being born! As of an hour ago, Rocco has made his appearance and many are waiting for George to show up next. These two babies are the result of years of tears, prayers and faith. I have known their mother Holly for several years. I first met her when we worked together at the bank. Beginning during our first interactions, I always knew Holly wanted nothing more in this world than to be a mother. She has a stepson and I always knew by seeing her love for him that she would make an amazing mother. I remember all the times Holly would excitedly tell me that she was "late," but then a couple days later she would shake her head and say "no, not this month." Through every month of hope and then disappointment, Holly never waivered in her faith in God.


After months and months of trying, I remember her telling me about the doctor's visits of trying to find out what was wrong. I remember all the crazy suggestions made to her that she expectantly followed. Then came the in-vitro attempt that didn't take. I know through all this that I was not the only person praying for Holly. I have never in my life seen someone want a baby so badly that I KNEW "deserved" the opportunity. Even though I never saw it in her, I had my times of anger over the situation. I questioned how so many women could get pregnant easily who never planned a child, nor did they even want one yet here was someone who yearned for one so badly. God, where is the justice in that scenario?


About a year ago I began cleaning regularly for Holly. She doesn't know this, but as I would make her bed, I prayed over it and prayed for the baby I knew was in their future. I saw the birth announcements she received from friends. Holly would hang them up and even show them to me and point out how adorable each baby was in the pictures. After a few months Holly told me they were going to try in-vitro again. I remember seeing the long list of "do's and don't" on the fridge and the schedule of shots she needed to take in order to prepare her baby for the best possible environment. Two eggs were implanted (Holly even has pictures of them in a dish!). Praise God, both eggs stuck! Over the last 38 weeks (YES! SHE MADE IT TO 38 WEEKS!!!!) I have watched as Holly has prepared for the arrival of her two boys. The affirmations and prayers she has spoken over them have melted my heart. I've teased about how the reality is going to be so much different from the illusions she has now of motherhood. However, deep inside, I think it will be much different than what many children experience. I've watched as Holly has faithfully visited her chiropractor, acupuncturist, and taken every suggested vitamin in order to have the healthiest pregnancy possible. Over the last month or so I have watched as she has been uncomfortable beyond belief, yet saying "for these babies, it's worth it all!" I have had the honor of every two weeks watching as their home has changed in anticipation of their arrival. The spare bedroom/office is now one of the cutest nurseries I've ever seen!


Monday night Holly went to the hospital to begin the labor and delivery process. She texted me yesterday that she had not needed any drugs yet and everything was going great. At 10 am this morning her husband posted on Facebook that Rocco had arrived and mom and baby are both doing great. Now we are all watching and waiting for George. I'm trying not to tear up as I type because to have had this front row seat to not just one, but two miracles has been such an honor!


I have shared all this only to say that what we may see as just a blessing can often come only after a high cost. Obviously there was a financial cost in this story, but even more was the cost of every hearbreak experienced along the way. For every time I saw Holly frustrated, I imagined how many tears I didn't see. How many times must she have wrestled with God over this issue? She must have because I did and it wasn't even my body/baby! Remember that what you see happen in someone's life did not happen without much preparation, trial, and struggle. What is it that you long for more than anything else? Is there a goal you have not been able to complete, but know you are called to pursue? What have you been willing to sacrifice to reach this goal? Has your heart been moved to the point of tears because you want it so badly? Nothing great comes without a cost.



"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment