Monday, September 16, 2013

Trust in the Lord. Not Horses.

I have been reading the book of Isaiah over the last few weeks. If you want to read scripture that will scare you a bit, I definitely recommend starting here. Isaiah didn't hesitate to share what God spoke to him to share. I read the following verses this evening and wanted to share my thoughts. 

"Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help and who depend on horses! They trust in the number of chariots and in the great strength of charioteers. They do not look to the Holy One of Israel and they do not seek the Lord's help." Isaiah 31:1

Sadly, when I read this verse my first thought was of the modern day church. In the battle for souls, we neglect to seek the help of the Lord and instead turn to the methods of the world. Churches spend obscene amounts of money in marketing research and developing media to attract our entertainment based culture. We think that changing the word of God into a gimmick shows how clever we have become. As if scriptures have not stood the test of time based solely on their divine origin. The success of a church is measured by the cost of their sound system, the technicality of their light shows, what clever props are used to illustrate a sermon point, and the jokes of the pastor. Too many leave church talking about everything except encountering Christ. My Facebook feed on Sunday is full of statuses proclaiming how "on fire" their pastor was or how their church is "the best!" To these posts I want to reply and ask why theirs, of all the churches in the world, should be deemed "best" of all. Perhaps I will start asking. Personally I believe at this point in my spiritual journey, the church I attend is the best for me. Should God direct me to leave, I will follow Him as I have in the past when He directed me to leave prior churches. 

Just as in the above verse, we place our trust in the number of chariots (campuses?) and in the strength of charioteers (personality-driven pastors?) I've heard the argument that the best of everything is necessary in order to show people how special they are to God. Perhaps it is just me, but when I was hurting the most, I didn't really care about whether or not the worship team was playing through smoke from a hazer. I needed Jesus. I needed the presence of the Holy Spirit. I needed hope and the infallible word of God. I needed to hear I was created for more than my present circumstance and receive encouragement to become all that God intended. I didn't need a music concert, I needed to be carried into the presence of God when I didn't have the strength to go there by myself. 

If our trust is in one's strength (or worldly beauty), then what about all those who are not as strong or as "beautiful?" The truth of God's word is that He most often uses those who the world rejects. Moses stuttered. David was a child who tended sheep. Rahab was a prostitute. Even Jesus was described as having no worldly beauty and being rejected (Isaiah 53:3). If we place our trust in our programs, our "larger than life" pastors, or any other trappings of the world, then we are refusing to seek the Lord's wisdom because He often places the greatest treasures in fields not easily seen by men. 

What kind of Christianity would we begin to see if we stopped placing our trust in the "horses" and instead began to trust fully on God? Having learned to trust Him in my personal life, I can only imagine the revival that would take place if we did this corporately as believers! This is when people would begin to take notice of our faith and ask where our hope comes from. People would see us no longer looking like the world, but living set apart. I'm not saying there aren't certain things needed to function as a church body and building, but perhaps many are taking it way too far. What if we trimmed the budget to give away more than we spent? What if we saw a need and met the need rather than referring people to government agencies for assistance? If God can provide it once, could He not provide it again if we give it away? 

Where have you placed your trust? Is it in "horses" or "charioteers?" I pray today for God to examine anything in you that is not trusting Him and Him alone. I pray you have the boldness and faith to trust only in Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment