Monday, July 16, 2012

Coffee Shop Conversations

This morning I have been in a coffee shop working on various things that required some quiet away from home in order to focus. I have been here for several hours and gathered next to me are four men who are the leaders of a local college ministry. I have figured out the ministry (one has it on his shirt), but will not list their name out of respect for them. However, the conversation I've overheard has caused me deep sorrow. At first it was because all I was hearing was discussion of marketing, fund raising, and fun activities. I understand church and ministry requires planning sometimes. Little had been mentioned of Jesus, but I understand there are logistical sides of ministry.


One of the ideas mentioned to establish connection with college students was to hand out cigarettes in an effort to start conversations. One young man (who according to the website is not staff) said he didn't want to encourage that type of behavior. The pastor mentioned a church that did ministry to the homeless and passed out cigarettes and socks. The young mans reaction was, "well, to the homeless that's different. Their lives are over and they don't have any dreams left. Who cares about them?"


Here is where I wish I could tell you the pastors rebuked this young man. I wish I could tell you the corrected him in love for his attitude. However, the comment was met with laughter from all three of the men sitting with him. My heart was racing and it was only by the grace of God that I did not create a very awkward scene in this coffee shop. I have however already emailed the pastor, who is one of the four sitting next to me. He's been looking at his phone for the last few minutes, so it is quite possible he is reading it right now.


My point in sharing this is to mention how important it is, as Christians, that we are aware of our conversations, and our attitudes at all times. My faith in Christ is strong. I have to wonder what the impact could have been had someone overheard this conversation who was seeking Christ or who was already skeptical of Christianity. It is the kind of attitudes that keep people away from church, and away from Christ. I can speak from my own experience that if my only knowledge of Jesus was through His people, rather than my personal relationship, then I would probably never be a Christian.


The group of guys got ready to leave and I noticed the pastor waiting behind. He came over and thanked me for the email. He was very humble about what had happened and acknowledged the error of the statement. I'm now very impressed with his ability to receive correction, even from someone he does not know. This is also something we need to be mindful about in our walk. God may send us a "voice" that does not look the way we expect it to look or at a time we expect to hear. How do you receive correction? Do you get defensive or mad at someone's "nerve" to correct you? This is something I have seen often both in the world and in churches. When someone gives correction, it is wise to receive it with an open heart. Align it with the word of God to verify if it matches. If it does not align, then it is easy to dismiss. Many times the correction does align and we need to be receptive to taking it to heart.


"All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17


No comments:

Post a Comment