Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Like a Convict



Imagine this scene: 

A courtroom. 

Overwhelming evidence of guilt.

You are on trial and you know you are guilty of every charge brought against you. Not just of these charges, but also of crimes nobody else knows you committed. You know you have arrived at this moment fairly and it was only a matter of time before the real you was discovered. 

As you stand to hear the verdict, you hold your breath in anticipation of the sentence. You hear the words...

NOT GUILTY. All charges dismissed. 

How would you react in the above scenario? I believe I would collapse in shock and relief. How could I be found innocent when there is proof of my crimes? How can I not have to pay retribution for my evil? I would ask the judge and jury for clarification. So let's imagine again...

The judge turns to you and points to a man sitting in the corner. You had not paid much attention to him throughout your trial. You assumed he was another reporter or spectator who came to hear of your failures. As the man slowly stands, as if in pain, you notice the blood. You couldn't see it before the verdict was read, but now it's flowing down his face. You lean closer to get a better look at him and notice his clothing has changed. He was dressed in ordinary clothes throughout your trial, but now he is in torn rags. He begins to limp towards you. You observe he now has wounds that should make him unable to move! 

You become panicked as you are trying to understand why this man is here and what does he have to do with your situation. The judge says your name several times to get your attention. He asks if you have ever seen this man before. You search your memory, but are pretty sure you would remember seeing someone like him. But there is really nothing memorable about his face. You wouldn't notice him now if not for his beaten appearance. You respond in denial of knowing him and ask the judge to tell you more. 

The judge begins to tell you of all the man has been through. He tells you of the beatings. He tells you of the names the man has been called. He tells you of the pain he has endured. You know all you have done wrong, but were found not guilty. What horror must this man have committed in order to be treated so horribly! So you ask the judge what the man did to deserve such abuse. 

The judge hangs his head and with a sigh he responds, "Nothing. This man did absolutely nothing to deserve this punishment. But you did. Everything that happened to him was what the jury had sentenced for you. But he volunteered to take your place." 

You turn from the judge to see the man is now standing next to you with His hand extended. Breathless with tears flowing from your eyes, you take His hand. There are so many questions you want to ask, but you can't find words to speak. The emotions you feel are endless. You somehow find the breath to ask, "Why?" This man you have never met has taken the punishment you deserved. You have been given freedom despite the offenses you have committed. The look on your face begs Him to say something. After what seems an eternity of silence, He speaks. 

"I did this because I love you. I've loved you with an everlasting love. Before the world was formed, I knew you would be born at this time and I knew the crimes you would commit. I knew the wages of your crimes was too much for you to carry. So out of my love for you, I left my palace to be with you. That's right, I'm no ordinary man. I am a King. I am Royalty. But no Kingdom would be complete without you, my child, being there. I have come to save you and give you a new life. Not the life you have lived that led to this trial, but a life of joy, peace, and righteousness. These are the fruits of living in my Kingdom. Will you come live with me?"

Can you imagine this story? 

It's a true story. It's exactly what Jesus did for each of us. What we deserved in judgement, He received the punishment so we could be free. I know I can go through my daily life and forget where I should be and yet I'm free. I'm free from the person I used to be. I'm free from the sentence I deserve. When satan attempts to remind me of my crimes, Christ reminds me I am not guilty in Him. 

There is yet another element to this story. If after experiencing the above acquittal, would we continue living as we lived before? Would we walk out of the courtroom and go directly back to the life that led us to the trial in the first place? Or would we walk away thankful for new freedom? If you have experienced salvation through Christ, are you living as if you were free? Or are you continuing to live in the same way you lived before knowledge of Christ? Do you live the same way because you know you are forgiven and use that as your excuse to live in a way you know you should not live. Have you asked God for His opinion on the choices you make? Have you invited Him in your life not just as a spectator, but as a guide? 1 Peter 2:16 tells us, "Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God."

 Stop living like a convict when you have been found NOT GUILTY.




No comments:

Post a Comment