Monday, May 21, 2012

Where Else Would I Go?

The Christian walk is not an easy one. Many pastors make the decision to accept Christ seem as simple as a prayer and then life is great. Perhaps this is how we have been led to feel when thinking of the Christian walk. The reality is that to walk with Christ in every area of our life requires absolute sacrifice of our own agendas. How many people have you known who have walked away from the faith because they wanted to play by their own rules? I have been tempted many times myself to go back to my own lifestyles and habits. Satan tries to tell me how much more "fun" life was then. He points out how I was never alone when I was living a life of sin. He loves to tell lies. In fact, that is all he ever does. The only power satan has is the power to make you believe a lie.

It is in the times when I am being tempted to revert to my old life that I feel closest to being a true disciple of Jesus. When that temptation comes, my response is similar to that of Simon Peter in John 6:68 when Jesus asks if he would also like to leave.

"But Simon Peter answered Him, Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life'
When worldly temptations attempt to pull me back into the depths of pain where I once lived, it is then I remind myself of the eternal love of Christ. If I turn away from Him, where would I go? There is absolutely nothing or no one on this earth that compares to Him!

What led to Jesus asking this question was the leaving of other disciples because the road laid out before them was simply too hard. Fulfilling the calling of God on our lives takes courage. It requires a willingness to leave behind the pursuits of the world in order to purse Him only. It's about becoming last in order to be first. It's about throwing out our agenda in order to be available to walk out His.

"Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, This is a hard saying; who can understand it?61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him.65 And He said, Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, Do you also want to go away?68 But Simon Peter answered Him, Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." John 6:60-69

When God speaks to you to step out in faith, how do you respond? Do you tell God the thing He asks is too difficult? Do you give Him your life resume and explain all the reasons why He's obviously chosen the wrong person this time? Sometimes I feel I have to remind God of all the times I've screwed up in the past. After all, if my sins are remembered no more, then I can see why He would forget how many times I've failed and might mistake me for someone who would be capable of living "right." It's in these times that I imagine He grins at me and says "It's because of those things that I KNOW you are the right one for THIS task."

Once we have the revelation of who He is, where else can we go? For me, I cannot think of anywhere else I would rather be than His presence. I pray you have a true heart revelation of Him today. If satan has been tempting you back into a life you knew before, then I pray for a renewed strength in you to run after Jesus even harder. But what if you've never really had a divine experience with God? When your walk is simply out of cultural expectations, then it's hard to step out of sin. I want to tell you that it is possible to get out. No matter what your addiction, Jesus can heal you! Once you experience the power of the eternal, living God, the things of this world no longer have appeal. Even when you TRY to go back you realize you don't enjoy it anymore! It's because of this that I never want to be anywhere else except in His presence and will. I pray for each of you to experience that personal revelation of Him.


***As I was writing this a song came on that I do not recall ever hearing before. It immediately grabbed my attention when I heard the words..."I will run unto You, Oh God. Where else can I go?" I LOVE how God surrounds us even in little details. Most days I write I have no idea if it is "speaking" to anybody or if anyone will even read what is written. I know God has told me to write and so I write. It does not matter if it is read by one person or 1,000 (although that would be pretty cool!). And then something like this happens to assure me I'm heading on the right track. I share this to tell you to pay attention to the little details in life. You will see, hear, and feel God all around when you are on the lookout for Him.



No comments:

Post a Comment