Thursday, May 17, 2012

Always A Witness

I was reminded last night of how important it is to always be aware of our attitudes and in how we treat people. Our witness of Christ is far greater than simply our Christian status on Facebook or the Jesus sticker on our car. Someone I have not spoken to in years texted me last night to request prayer for their grandfather as he was being rushed to the hospital. I have only communicated about once a year or so with this person so when I read the text it caught me somewhat off guard. I don't believe she attends a church anywhere so I am not sure she has a church "family" to help support her during this time.

I am not sharing this story because I'm bragging, please understand my heart. I am sharing simply because we must always be representatives of Christ in everything we do and in every relationship or friendship presented to us. Every conversation we have is a reflection of the One we serve. Even when we don't think we are witnessing to someone, our lives are always a witness! The choice is ours what kind of witness we want our lives to be to others. We may not bring up Jesus in every conversation, but those who know us and know we are believers are impacted by how we live. Not only do they see how we treat them, but they watch how we treat others and how we talk about other people. When in conversation with non-believers, how do we conduct our speech? Are we uplifting or do we join in or even lead the parade in speaking ill of others? What in your life distinguishes you from someone who is living in the world and apart from Christ?

"
I said, "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence." Psalm 39:1
We should always live our lives in a way that when others are looking for hope, they think of the One we call Jesus. When encouragement is needed, we want them to turn to faith in Christ and not to worldly means of escape. I believe so many people turn to drugs, alcohol, and abusive relationships simply because they have never witnessed the power of Jesus in someone's life. If you have been transformed by Jesus, then it should show in your life. The love of Jesus is big enough to share! Quite honestly, once you have truly experienced His power, I don't know how you could not want to see that power in the lives of those around you!

"
I do not hide your righteousness in my heart; I speak of your faithfulness and salvation. I do not conceal your love and your truth from the great assembly." Psalm 40:10

No comments:

Post a Comment