Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Discipline of a Father

"Don't you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can't you see that His kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?" ~Romans 2:4 

Blending a family is not easy. There are kids accustomed to one set of guidelines and other kids who are accustomed to another. There are parents with two different styles of parenting and who see things differently in terms of what matters and what doesn't. I recently had a conversation with my new husband regarding discipline that spoke to me about how we witness to others.  

Let me first start by saying how much I appreciate my husband and his role as the man of the house. I'm thankful for the places he is strong because they are mostly places in which I am weak. Being a single mom of two for so many years, I know I've not been as stern as a daddy would be. I recognize the ways in which a mom disciplines is different than the discipline of a father. It is different because it is how God made us. Men were made for this role.  

I recently talked to my husband regarding his relationship with our 9 year old daughter. I thanked him for the discipline he gives her, but also reminded him that she also needs to know he loves her. His goal is to treat all the children the same and to expect the same out of all of them. I understand his point and mentioned how they should have the same treatment, but we also have to remember they have been raised in two different environments and are familiar with different rules and expectations. His daughter knows what her daddy expects and allows. My girls are still learning. So there has to be grace. Unless we know someone loves us, their discipline will be resented and seen as mean and judgmental 

And this is where God spoke to me.  

How often do we look at those who are not believers in Christ, or who have newly believed, and expect them to behave in a way contradictory to what they've known before. They don't know their "Daddy's" expectations of them. If all we do is give them laws, rules, and expectations, without the love of the Father, why would they want that kind of daddy. It is the love of God that draws men to repentance. It was the love in Christ that caused people to follow Him to the point of losing their own lives.  

When interacting with a new believer, don't forget to show love. In truth, this applies to all believers. No matter how seasoned in the faith we may be, we are still learning. Each new level brings new failures and new fears. We all need discipline with a dose of grace and love. It's this grace and love that leads us to turn from our sins and live a life pleasing to our Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment