Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thinking Right

I'm willing to guess if I had the opportunity to sit down with each of you I would hear life stories that vary in ways, and yet share similarities. Many of us have things that have happened in our past that are less than pleasant stories. Some of us may be living in the middle of our pain and tragedy at this moment. No matter what has happened to us or how life has beaten us up, we have the choice on which things we will choose to focus our attention. 

If you have been the victim of abuse at some point in your life you have the option to remain in that moment or forgive your offender and trust God to heal your pain. Perhaps you have lost loved ones at an early age. You can concentrate on the pain of that loss or thank God for the time you had together. Circumstances in your life may not be what you would want them to be at this time. Each of us have the option to focus on what is wrong or to maintain our eyes on all that is right. 

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9

This is why it is so important to be aware of the influences around us. Do the television programs you watch help you to maintain a pure thought life. How about the music you play? Are your friendships ones that help you maintain your marriage or do they speak negatively regarding your spouse? Do you rehearse every hurt and argument or do you reminisce on everything they have done right and with love? 

I have found when I can get my thought life in order, my attitude follows. If I surround myself with negativity, then I will become negative. However, if I am maintaining my walk with God through worship, reading His word, and spending quiet time with Him, then my attitude becomes evident of peace, joy, and love. If you struggle in these areas, try posting scriptures around your house in places you know you will read them throughout the day. Have cd's of sermons in your car and instead of listening to the radio, listen to the cd's. Turn off the television at night and read your bible instead. You will be amazed at how quickly things begin to change in your life! The outside circumstances may not change, but your heart and mind will shift!

No comments:

Post a Comment