Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sometimes You Don't Have Words


How much time do you truly spend alone with God? I have to admit I am guilty of filling my hours with things that have little to nothing to do with Him. However, right now I am in a season of life that is requiring me to make some big decisions. These are more than "what are we having for dinner" type decisions. They are decisions that could change the course of not only my life, but the lives of others. These are decisions that I would not even want to begin to make without making sure I'm following the Holy Spirit's guidance in how to proceed. 

Many times our first instinct in these kinds of situations is to seek the opinion of our friends and/or family. What we often fail to realize is that others can have their own motivations in the counsel they provide. They also never have all of the facts. We can attempt to fill them in on all the details, yet there is no way to fully explain all the thoughts, emotions, and actions that contribute to the decision ahead of us. God is the only one who knows all the details and even the ones you do not know. If your decision involves others, God knows their hearts in a way you never could. The Holy Spirit is the only one qualified to give an expert opinion.

Over the last few days I have found I'm spending a lot of time focusing on hearing from God. I am not sharing this to brag in any way. Please refer back to the second sentence at the beginning of this post. I'm reading books related to where I am in life right now. I'm reading scriptures. Worship music is playing almost constantly. A friend asked yesterday, "Are you always so full of joy like this?" I didn't really understand what they meant so they explained further. It occurred to me that my time spent in seeking God on one particular issue has spilled over into other areas of my life. 

Are there heavy decisions ahead of you? Have you already made your decision? Did you seek God before proceeding? Do you have peace about your choice? One thing I have experienced personally is a peace that comes from knowing when you are hearing from God. There will be people who will question your decisions, yet if you know you are following God, then their opinions do not matter. When you have direction from God, He provides His peace in order to sustain you from the backlash that will come as a result of your obedience. 

If you have not recently taken the time to get away with God, I strongly encourage you to take the time to do so as soon as possible. If there is a lack of peace in your life, seek Him immediately! His presence is stronger than any medication. I am praying for all who read this to have a divine encounter with God in a way they have never experienced before. 

I will end today with a song. This is one of my favorites that is sung at my church. I have yet to hear it and not also felt the spirit of God moving while it is being sung. The primary reason I am so moved by this song, and I believe God is also, is the part where the words end and simple moanings begin. There is something that happens in the spiritual realm when we speak to God in an unintelligible language. Satan does not have the ability to interpret our groans and utterances. The Holy Spirit moves on our behalf through our sounds. God knows the struggles in my heart. If I simply prayed in my own words I would be providing satan with ammunition to use against me. Even the bible talks about petitioning God in such a way!

"Attend to me, and hear me; I am restless in my complaint, and moan noisily." Psalm 55:2

Take some time today or tonight to seek God for the decisions you are facing in your life. I promise He will help you see the direction to take!

No comments:

Post a Comment