Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Truly Repentant

For most of my life I thought I was repentant for the sin in my life. However, as I look back I am realizing what I felt was not true repentance, but rather regret. By definition, regret means to feel sad or disappointed over something that has happened or been done. When conviction comes into our lives we can realize the wrongs we have committed and feel sadness over those things. Perhaps it is even regret over the consequences of our sin. No sin comes without a consequence. Many nonbelievers argue Christianity because it is a "mean God giving us a bunch of rules." Yet the guidelines we are given are there to protect us. Just as we tell our children to not touch a stove burner when it is hot, God tells us what to avoid in order to keep us from harm. Think of how you feel when your child disobeys you and ends up getting hurt. You feel bad for them, but you also think, "that is why I told you not to do that. I didn't want to see you hurt." I imagine God has similar thoughts towards us.

When we are truly repentant, we not only feel bad because we touched the stove, but we realize we never need to touch the stove again. Not only do we not feel the need, but our hearts change to where we no longer have someone telling us not to do it, but our hearts change so we no longer WANT any part of sin. Many times in my life I thought I was repenting, and yet anytime the opportunity arose, I was willing to make the same choices again. Recently the opportunity came again and I had a decision to make. Would I choose as I have in the past or would I trust God to give me the strength to say no. Can I tell you, it was not as easy as you might think. I literally cried out to God for His strength to do the right thing! Just as Psalm 46:1 says, "
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." In order to avoid the temptation in front of me, I had to seek Him as my refuge and rely on Him to be my strength. It was absolutely nothing of my own will that allowed me to say no to the sin I was being offered. I even cried and yelled at God. He knows my heart, He knows my weakness, and He knew that unless He showed up, I would make the same mistakes again.

Please know I'm not sharing any of this to brag about my own strength. However, this was a real victory for me and I know it was ONLY by God's grace and strength that this battle was won. I know there will be more battles to come. Because of the direction I'm moving in my life I have placed a target on my back for satan. If you do not feel satan attacking you, then it is a pretty good indication of how much you are doing for God. If you are not a threat to satan, he has no use of you.

I never want to be like the audience addressed in the book of Romans.

"Or do you despise the riches of His kindness, restraint, and patience, not recognizing that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
"

God's love and mercy is not a license to do what we want and simply apologize after we have pursued our own way. It is His love that leads us to repentance to change. If my continual sin is despising His name, then it is not something I want to do. His patience and love for me causes me to want to live a life pleasing to Him. I am trusting His ways over my own. If you are living a life of remorse rather than one of true repentance, then I pray for a heart revelation for you today. Know that God will always provide a way out of sin for you. It may be you need to end certain relationships or friendships in your life. If your friends cause you to stumble, then it is better to be alone than keep company who will prevent you from stepping into God's complete and total will for your life. I am in no way saying it is easy. Too many times we hear it explained as if it is easy. Satan is a real enemy who will always attack us where he knows we are weakest. Take it one day at a time and celebrate even the little victories over him!

No comments:

Post a Comment