Friday, April 27, 2012

Not Just Another Day in the Neighborhood

I am writing this morning with a heavy spirit. It's currently 5:16 am and those who know me are well aware this is not a "normal" time for me to be awake and definitely not to be writing. However, a little after 4 I was awakened by a noise outside that I did not recognize. I live next to train tracks and at an intersection where the trains blow their whistle every time they pass through. It takes a lot for a noise to wake me up! When I looked outside I saw two news vans parked directly in front of my condo. This is not typical activity no matter where you live. As I stepped outside I saw crime scene tape next to my home. This was not looking good.

I saw a reporter and inquired what happened. He informed me two young men were murdered in the home behind me last night.
Police have said it was not random and that the suspects and victims knew each other. This is the neighbor whose home I face when looking out of my back door. The neighbor who I just learned his name last week. The neighbor who waves and smiles and says hello every time he sees me. I just saw him yesterday when I was waiting for Olivia to get off the bus.

Can I say I truly knew him personally? No. Even heavier on my heart right now is, do I know he was saved? No. Can I say I ever attempted to witness to him? No. There is no greater reminder of the brevity of life than seeing that two of your neighbors have been killed. I had just learned his name and surely I would have talked to him about Jesus eventually, right? Or at least I like to think I would have done so.

Who is in your outer circle of life that you know you could be of more influence? Do you feel an urgency when seeing people that heaven and hell could be only a few breaths away? The news has not yet released the names of the victims. I think of their families and wonder do they know yet that their loved ones are gone? There is such a menacing spirit outside right now. I pray against any of that in my home! I am praying for peace and comfort for the families of every one involved. Not just the victims, but the suspects also. As a parent I think of how the news will affect the parents of everyone involved. Every action we take affects others somehow.

I want this experience to be a catalyst to move me towards action. Eternity could be only a heartbeat away and I want to know I did everything possible to show people the love of Jesus.

"
Come now, you who say, Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.James 4:13-14

What plans did you have for today? Did they include God? I would challenge each of you (myself included) to evaluate those plans and make changes where changes are needed. Tell someone about Jesus today. Show somebody the love of Christ. You never know....today could be the last chance they get.


No comments:

Post a Comment