Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Consequences

Tonight as bedtime was approaching, my 6 year old asked to play games on my computer. She knows her bedtime is 9 and often she wants to watch a movie in her room before she falls asleep. In order to do this, she has to be in bed before 8:30. When she asked to play on the computer I explained to her that if she played on the computer she would not be able to watch a movie when it was time for bed. She said she understood but wanted to play on the computer anyway. 

Any parent reading this knows what happened when bedtime arrived. Of course she asked to watch a movie and argued that she is on spring break so she does not have school tomorrow and should be allowed to stay up longer. I reminded her of her decision to play on the computer and how she knew what she would be sacrificing later.  As she began to cry, I explained that in life we make decisions and often know beforehand the consequences. It does not change the consequence to cry over our choice. 

And then I felt it....the impact of my own words over my own life.

How many times have I made choices knowing the possible, and oftentimes likely, consequence that would come from my choice? How many times have I also cried when the results were not the ones I desired, yet I was the one who made the choices that led to the results? Many times I have asked God "WHY?" and His response has been much like my own this evening. He's reminded me of His word and how He clearly lays out the consequences of sin.

I think the greatest lessons I learn as a parent involve understanding God as my Father. In the same way I love my children, God loves me even greater. Just as I provide discipline and guidance, so does God provide these things to me. And in the same way that ultimately I cannot control the choices my children make, God also gives me the freedom of my choice.

So I guess the next time I find myself crying, whining, and complaining when things don't work out my way, I need to examine my actions that led to my situation and acknowledge that if I had just listened to Daddy, things would have worked out differently.

"My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in." Proverbs 3:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment