Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Proverbs 5

What kind of a woman are you? I'm asking this as a serious question. If you've spent any time in church you have heard of the Proverbs 31 woman. She is described as the epitome of what a godly woman should be. As I read Proverbs 5 today, I was reminded of the woman men are instructed to avoid. I'm not sure about you, but she is definitely NOT who I want to be!

"The lips of a seductive woman are oh so sweet, her soft words are oh so smooth. But it won't be long before she's gravel in your mouth, a pain in your gut, a wound in your heart. She's dancing down the primrose path to Death; she's headed straight for Hell and taking you with her. She hasn't a clue about Real Life, about who she is or where she's going." Proverbs 5:3-6


Ouch! These are pretty strong words! Consider the "lips of a seductive woman" description. Maybe it's just me, but everything in our culture encourages us to be seductive. Everything from lipstick to our shoes are supposed to be sexy! Men admire us in high heels because of the seductive way it accentuates our calves. We can take lessons on applying sultry make-up. You only need to glance at the headlines on magazine covers the next time you are at the grocery store to see how much of a focus seduction is in our society. The next time your favorite television show goes to commercial, take note of how women are portrayed or how the ad is selling their product. However, scripture tells us we are to be different!

The seductive woman is compared to gravel in your mouth and a pain in your gut! That is definitely not a description I want attached to myself! Not only is she headed down the wrong path, she's dancing her way there. We are told here that a woman focused on seduction knows nothing about real life, her identity, or her future. When I read this I think of the woman I used to be. You see, I was most definitely her! I found my value in the attention and relationships I had with men. When I look at my life then, I can see how I was lost and wandering through life. I had no real purpose. I had no goal or vision for my life.

I praise God for delivering me from the confusing life I was leading. I praise Him for revealing to me who I am as HE made me to be! I am thankful for His direction in my life. There is no more wandering around and being easily tossed about in the wind. If you are feeling in need of direction in your life, I pray you will turn to the one who longs to seduce YOU! I pray there we no longer be a need for earthly seduction in your life, but only the seduction of heaven and the love of our Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment