Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 Reflection

As most people do today, I've been evaluating the last year of my life. If you had told me on January 1 what my life would look like today, December 31, I would have laughed at you. If you told me I would be writing this devotional twice a week, I would have laughed at you. If you told me I would share my testimony in front of a group of women I mostly did not know, I would have laughed at you. If you told me I would quit my job at the prompting of God without a "plan B" for income, I would have cried laughing at you. If you told me I would be leading a group of homeless people in devotionals once a month, I would have laughed at you. If you told me I would be single and CONTENT, I would have raised my eyebrows, but probably not laugh because who wants THAT status?

The change in my life is not that YOU told me all of these things, it's that GOD did. He told me to leave. He told me to be satisfied in my love with Him. He guided me to the people who ran the homeless ministry and opened the door for me to impart encouragement into their lives. It was God who told me I would be speaking and writing so when those opportunities arose, I was prepared to answer "yes".

The difference in 2010 and the years of my life prior to this year is I was willing to trade my plans for His. In January, I told God "whatever you want this year God. It's not about me anymore. I want it to be all about You." What is on your resolutions list this year? Do you have a list of several things? Are the items the usual lose weight (which I definitely need to do!), read the Bible more, or exercise regularly? Maybe it's not yell at the kids or clean the house more. I challenge you all to shorten your list to one item. The only thing that will cover all of your life is to say "Whatever you want God." When you say this and mean it 100%, it's an absolutely terrifying thing. What God wants is usually not the same as what we want. However, I promise you that if you make this "resolution", you will look back on December 31, 2011 and you too will be amazed at the changes He has made in your life.

"We are saved by trusting. And trusting means looking forward to getting something we don't yet have - for a man who already has something doesn't need to hope and trust that he will get it. But if we must keep trusting God for something that hasn't happened yet, it teaches us to wait patiently and confidently." Romans 8:24-25 The Living Bible


This year, I pray for you to trust. Trust like a child trusts it's parent. Trust in Him that His ways are greater than the world's. Trust in His plan to work all things together for your good.

1 comment: