Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Naked Man in the Garden

I am currently reading through the New Testament and I was wrapping up in Mark last night when I read this verse:

"Now a certain young man, having a linen cloth wrapped around his body, was following Him. They caught hold of him, but he left the linen cloth behind and ran away naked." Mark 14:51-52

I don't know why, but I had to re-read that verse about five times. Then...I started laughing pretty hysterically. In the grand scheme of the Bible, WHY was this an important detail? Of all the things going on in the garden when Jesus was arrested, was THIS the most important detail to mention? Many times we have pictured the scene in the garden that night and have also seen numerous movie portrayals. Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember EVER seeing this detail included in the garden scene!

I will make a confession. I have often struggled in my discipline of reading scripture. It's something I'm working to improve on and with God's help, I am getting better. I think reading this verse made me laugh so much because I realized how many "hidden gems" there really ARE in scripture! Most of us have heard select verses hundreds, if not thousands of times if we have been in church for any amount of time. However, there are so many verses, like this one, that rarely make it into the Sunday morning notes. What are some of the verses you have "found" for the first time?

No comments:

Post a Comment