Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Nourishment

Last Friday I did something absolutely shocking. I joined a gym. Not only did I join, but I have been there every day since then except for Saturday. For those of you who know me personally, you know how much of a lifestyle change this has been for me. The ironic thing is that as much as my body is aching right now I am already looking forward to going again tomorrow. I came home yesterday and decided for a snack I would have some broccoli. I am drinking more water in a day than I previously consumed in a week. What in the world is happening to me?

One simple (or not so simple) decision has affected various areas of my life. How true is this statement in our spiritual life as well? Just as our bodies crave physical exercise and things that are good for us, our souls crave spiritual exercise. Just as going to the gym has affected other choices I'm making in my life, reading my Bible affects the choices I make also. When we feed ourselves on the word of God, we are providing divine nourishment. It is easy to look at our physical selves and know we need to exercise more. Our spiritual selves can be harder to assess. How is your attitude? Are your relationships with loved ones thriving or are they strained? Do you battle with depression or feelings of sadness? Are you content in your life, no matter what is happening or is every day a misery to just get though? If the answers to the previous questions are not the answers you desire, spend time in the word of God.

There are several verses of scripture that remind us of the importance of remaining in the Word:

"
Don't stop reading this book of the Law, but day and night think of what it says, so you can be careful to do everything written in it; then you will prosper and succeed
." Joshua 1:8

"But Jesus told him, "No! The Scriptures say, 'People need more than bread for their life; they must feed on every word of God.' " Matthew 4:4

"
And the Scriptures were written to teach and encourage us by giving us hope.
" Romans 15:4

"
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

If you do not have a habit of feeding your spirit with the word, then I challenge you to begin today. I would love to hear of how this changes you! Also, if anyone wants to join me at the gym, just let me know. And also if you know of any good massage deals......

No comments:

Post a Comment