Friday, March 16, 2012

No Escape

What is your escape? I am sure everyone has something that when things in life get difficult, we use as our mental getaway. Sometimes it can be behavior our activities that are harmful to us. This is why people become drug addicts, alcoholics, and promiscuous. Not all escapes are as drastic. It could be watching our favorite soap opera, spending hours at the gym, or the time we spend on social media. There are many things we can use as our escape that seem harmless on the surface level. They can even be things that are healthy for us such as exercising, but when used as an escape can become harmful. Most of our escapes are not harmful to our bodies, but harmful to our emotions, our soul, and our relationships. Just ask any wife of a sports crazed husband who reminds her of his right to relax and watch the game (every game) after a hard day at work.

This morning I've been examining the things in my life that I often use as an escape. It could be an escape from family drama or simply an escape for the realities of daily life as a single mom. No matter what, I know these things exist in my life. What God is reminding me during the times when I want to run away from it all, is that He is my escape. He wants to be everything I need through every storm and trial of life. Not only the storms, but also during the calm. Maybe things in your life aren't necessarily chaotic. It could just be the routine of daily life has become too....well, routine. I have days of looking at my life and wondering if it is all it's supposed to be. I know my call at this time in life is to be a mother to my girls. Honestly though, there are days I don't want to do it. There are days I forget who I am. All I see is who I am when I'm in the role someone else expects of me. In the journey of being what other people need, I can forget who I have been created to be by God.

I wonder how many people are truly living the life they have chosen for themselves. I know this may seem like a bizarre statement, but let me explain. If you went to college, why did you go and why did you study your chosen field? Did you go because it was what was expected or because it was truly what you felt in your heart to do? I have talked to many people who are married and when I asked them why they got married, their response has been because they had dated for a certain amount of time, so it was just expected and the next logical step. I've heard so many women state that they didn't really want to get married, but it was expected. You grow up, go to college, get married, and have babies. There you have every fairy tale wrapped up in one sentence. This is the story line we are told all through life. However, even if we find ourselves "living the dream," we can feel heavy and burdened. We know there is something more.

When I want to escape, there is a scripture God speaks over me.

"
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

God wants us to come to Him when we are worn down by life. The weight we carry does not belong to us. Jesus was and is peace. He wants us to learn from Him so we can be as gentle and humble as Himself. His rest is not just a physical one, but one that penetrates all the way into our souls. As we learn from Him, we learn to become the people we were created to be and not just the role society or our families expect of us. I've come to learn that usually what God asks of me is not what the world would consider logical! Jesus rarely did anything that made sense to the people of His time.

If you are feeling heavy today, I pray you turn to Jesus rather than the things of this world. Spend time asking God to reveal the things in your life you have been using as your escape rather than turning to Him. When we turn to Him instead, the effects are far reaching way beyond ourselves. You will see a difference not only in yourself, but in your family and friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment