Friday, June 1, 2012

Naaman's Tantrum

I hope it is okay if as I am reading through the Bible I share with you my impressions on what I have read. I know that is usually what I do here anyway, but as I'm reading through I will be sharing scriptures you may not be familiar with hearing. Last night I was reading in 2 Kings 5 the story of Naaman, a commander of the army for the king of Aram. Naaman was viewed highly by the king and was described as being very brave. However, Naaman had a skin disease. In the culture of the time, this was a great tragedy. Word had spread of Elisha the prophet and Naaman requested to travel to see Elisha for healing of his disease. Not only did the king give his permission, but he sent Naaman with silver, gold, and clothing as a gift.

Naaman eventually arrives at Elisha's door with his horses, chariots, and gifts. A messenger comes outside and instructs Naaman to bathe seven times in the Jordan River to heal his disease. This is where the story becomes interesting to me. Although Naaman is told how to bring about his healing, he becomes angry. The cure was not delivered via the method he expected.

"But Naaman got angry and left, saying, "I was telling myself: He will surely come out, stand and call on the name of Yahweh his God, and will wave his hand over the spot and cure the skin disease.Aren't Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be clean?" So he turned and left in a rage.But his servants approached and said to him, "My father, if the prophet had told you to do some great thing, would you not have done it? How much more [should you do it] when he tells you, 'Wash and be clean'?" So Naaman went down and dipped himself in the Jordan seven times, according to the command of the man of God. Then his skin was restored [and became] like the skin of a small boy, and he was clean." 2 Kings 5:11-14

Have you been believing for a miracle or a healing in your life? Are you willing to do whatever God says in order to receive your miracle? I think many of us miss out on a miracle of God because we are given instructions that do not align with our human thinking. Just like Naaman, we would be willing to do something BIG for God, but become angry or frustrated when asked to do something small. Yet, in God's kingdom there is nothing small. Just as in 2 Kings, God can work miracles even in the small areas of our life. And just like Naaman, we may have to travel away from where we are comfortable in order to find that healing.

I also love how it was Naaman's servants who talked sense into him when he was in his rage. It was his servants who provided him with the wisdom to give this cure a try. I admire Naaman for his willingness to listen to what his servants had to say to him. So often we reject the wisdom of those who serve with us. This story is a reminder to me that I should always be open to how God speaks to me. I can have a picture in my mind of how God will work, yet his ways are usually different than how I would work things out. I must never be closed off to how God wants to move in my life. I must also be willing to listen to the voice of wisdom in those around me.

Has God given you instructions that make no sense to the human mind? I would love to hear your stories of what happened when you listened to that voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment