Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Grace Not In Vain

"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me." 1 Corinthians 15:10
I read these words this morning and had to share them with you. They were written by Paul as he is explaining his reasoning for preaching the gospel. He refers to himself as not worthy because of the persecution of Christians he committed before his supernatural encounter with Christ. The more I read this verse, the more I love Paul. I feel much like him when he says it is by the grace of God that he is what he is. I know I would be nothing without God's grace to me.

The second part of his statement gives me pause. "His grace toward me was not in vain." How is God's grace towards me being used in my life? How is it being used in yours? Is His grace towards you being used in your labor for Him or is it something you are holding close to your heart like a little secret between you and God?

Most of the people I know who "labor abundantly" are those who, like Paul, were once the worst of the worst when it came to sin and blasphemy towards God. There is something that happens when we are living a life of absolute rebellion and then God's grace floods into our lives. There is nothing they will not do to proclaim His name. As we step out to labor for Him, His grace is with us. The Holy Spirit will never leave us. It is up to us to listen to Him. Paul says it is not himself that labors, but through God's grace in Him. When you step out in faith to labor for God, it is His grace that will carry you.

My prayer for you today is to examine the evidence of God's grace in your life. How do you show your appreciation for that grace? Don't make His grace in vain.




No comments:

Post a Comment