Thursday, April 26, 2012

Refreshing Waters

Is there a song that catches your attention no matter how many times you hear it played? I'm not referring to a song with a catchy beat or tune, but one with lyrics that resonate deep inside your soul. One song that does this for me is "From The Inside Out" by Hillsong United. When I had friends over for coffee every week this song would always come on the radio during our time together. It's one that has always impacted me with its lyrics.

"A thousand times I've failed
Still your mercy remains
Should I stumble again
Still I'm caught in your grace
Everlasting, your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, your glory goes beyond all fame

Your will above all else
My purpose remains
The art of losing myself in bringing you praise
Everlasting, your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, your glory goes beyond all fame

In my heart, in my soul

I give you control
Consume me from the inside out
Let justice and praise
Become my embrace
To love you from the inside out

Everlasting, your light will shine when all else fades

Never ending, your glory goes beyond all fame
And the cry of my heart is to bring you praise
From the inside out
Lord my soul cries ou
t"

No matter what I've done in my life, God's love and mercy ALWAYS remains. Because of His love for me, I can return love to Him. I want my love for Him to not just exist in my words or actions, but all the way into my soul and spirit. It's when His love consumes us completely that our actions and lifestyle will reflect Him. If our lives are not a reflection of Jesus, then we are simply paying Him lip service and going through the motions of Christianity. Sin is less tempting to us when we are submerged in the depths of His love. No other love on earth compares to Him. No drug, no drink, no earthly relationship can bring the "high" that true fellowship with Christ can provide. Once we have even a small taste of Him, we will thirst and hunger for nothing else.

I think of the woman at the well whose thirst was manifested through her numerous relationships with men. This story always speaks deeply to me because my addiction has been relationships. Just as Jesus assured her "
Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:13-14), He also assures me. I don't know about you, but this is the water I want to not only taste, but DROWN myself in! I want to be so submerged in Him that nothing else has room to fill my lungs! I know this has to be intentional on my part. It doesn't happen by living the same lifestyle I lived prior to encountering Jesus. It requires changes. It requires losing friendships. It requires a sacrifice. Think of the people who travel miles every day just to obtain a bucket of water. They sacrifice their time and energy simply to have a drink of physical water. How much are we willing to sacrifice in order to taste of His refreshing water?

I pray today that His love is not simply something you hear about or know about in your head. I pray it's a knowledge that penetrates all the way into your soul. I pray it consumes you from the inside out.




No comments:

Post a Comment