Sunday, May 5, 2013

Perfectly Imperfect


This morning I was serving as church as the "floor director." We are a satellite campus and my job is communicating between the tech team and our campus pastor to let him know where our main campus is in their service. I also work with the tech team and sound team locally to make sure everyone is on the same "page" for what is to be done next. Several things happened this morning that threw us a bit off. Some things were beyond our control, but others were simply us being human. 

As one of the things happened I apologized to my pastor explaining I had told the person what was needed to happen, there was simply a delay in it happening. I said "If there is one thing we are, it's perfectly imperfect." He paused, and then replied, "You know, I think I actually prefer it that way." 

I've been thinking about this simple 10 second exchange in conversation all day. I've been a part of a church in the past that takes pride in their excellence. I served in a similar role at another church and when things went "wrong" they were not handled as graciously. What happened in me personally was a feeling that I could never be good enough. I felt this way because the reality is that I am human. I will make mistakes. Those on my team will make mistakes. The question is not in whether or not we will make mistakes, but in how will we handle the situation when mistakes are made?

How about you? When a mistake happens in your life or things do not go exactly as you planned, how do you respond? Do you respond with anger and frustration or with grace and understanding? How about when those around you make a mistake? Are you forgiving or do you belittle and demean them? Do you expect grace for yourself, but refuse to give the same level of grace to others? 

There is power in allowing others to see our mistakes. There is freedom in being real. I am not referring to our own freedom. For those who are struggling, it is freedom for them to see we all make mistakes. Whether it's the lights not working correctly or the sound not playing the second we expect it to play. Perhaps it's admitting we haven't treated our children the way we should. Maybe it's admitting we struggle with self esteem and feeling worthy of our calling. There are so many ways we make mistakes daily. What happens, especially within the church, is those in leadership or serving in visible ways are looked up to by those in attendance. When we become so focused on the "production" we are overlooking part of the purpose of having church in the first place. Is our purpose to put on an excellent show? No, it's to allow the Holy Spirit to move and for lives to be touched. Recently a plug came out during a service and we lost all sound, lights, and power. In a production, this would be disastrous. What happened instead was the worship team kept right on singing. The congregation raised their voices even louder. 

God often speaks loudest in what we see as a mistake. Our disaster become His opportunity for His ministry time. Remember this the next time things are not perfect in your world. When someone does not meet your expectation, look for God's message through the disappointment. Think of something that happened recently to you and examine if it was handled with grace. If not, maybe an apology is needed to whomever was not extended grace. 

I think I'll go apologize to my kids right now. 

2 comments:

  1. Very inspirational, Karen! I know that I have a difficult time extending grace for someone who continuously makes the exact same mistakes. I'm impatient with their learning curve, I think. I love your blog, it speaks from your heart. ~Veronica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to be honest and sincere. I hope that is what comes across when I write!

      Delete