Monday, May 16, 2011

Doing ALL Things

For reasons I don't care to disclose, I'm having a really hard, emotional day today. When I'm having these times of trying to understand things that can't really be understood, I do the only thing I know how to do...I read my Bible. When nothing else in my world is logical, God's Word never fails to speak to me. Even when I am having a hard time seeing the words through my tears, His voice is almost audible so that I don't miss what He is saying.

I'm no expert in quoting verses by book and chapter. However, like most people who have spent any amount of time in church or around Christians, I do know Philippians 4:13 says "
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." It's probably one of the top ten most quoted verses in the Bible. I came across this scripture today. However what spoke the most to me is written directly before this verse. Philippians 4:12 says this: "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

We are always quick to shout out how we can do all things through Christ when we are facing a decision or a tough task. What touched me today in verse 12 are the words "in need", "hungry," and "in want." I know God is with me on not only the days of plenty, but even on my days of hurt and tears. He can help me do all things, including grieve. He can help me process the hurt of this life. He can help me when the wounds of the past open up to fresh pain, disappointment, and anger. Even at the times when the only thing I have to say to Him is "God, why?", He understands and helps me through the things I don't understand. Not only is He here, but He gives me strength through all the emotions. He speaks to me and reminds me it's okay to cry. He tells me I don't always have to keep it all together. He tells me to yell at Him, that He can handle it.

At the end of it all, I realize I can still be content as long as God, who truly is my strength, is with me.

1 comment: