Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Called to be Uncomfortable

Until recently, I would have said I am walking in God's plan for me. Until recently, I felt I was doing all I was supposed to do. Until recently, I felt I was trusting on God for all I need. Then recently, I "met" Francis Chan. I have had to stop and truly examine my life and hold it up for examination against what scripture says a Christian should be and how we should live.

In the area of trusting God, do I do what is crazy and makes no sense to the world, or do I live just like the rest of the world? Do I take risks or do I stick to the routine I'm told I am suppose to have? Keep the "safe" job. Look at your "benefits". You have retirement and you have to think about what will happen 40 years from now. Where in scripture does it say that is what we are required to do? In fact, scripture says the exact OPPOSITE of this principle! We are told in Matthew 6:19 to NOT store up our treasures on earth. Matthew 19 is where Jesus tells us to be COMPLETE to sell everything we own. Wow Jesus, seriously? EVERYTHING? But what about the big screen tv? What about my house with a bedroom for each of my children and the gameroom for entertaining company? What about that car I dreamed of since I was a child? Does everything really mean everything? Can't I be complete without following this command?

I don't want to be partial and incomplete. I want to be COMPLETE in Christ. I don't want to waste another day of precious breathe serving mammon and the standards of the world. What do you do when what has always made you comfortable suddenly is uncomfortable?

No comments:

Post a Comment