Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The King of Good Gifts

Last week I posted on Facebook asking if anyone had connections to get tickets to The Lion King show playing in Charlotte this month. My youngest daughter, age 7, has been asking for over a year to see this show. Anytime she hears "New York City," she reminds me that is where we have to go to see the show. It seems like a silly wish, yet it's something she has talked about for over a year and such a big desire of her heart. Working more in ministry now than in a "real" (translation: paying) job, spending the money on tickets to see a Broadway show is not high on the budget list. 

At church on Sunday someone mentioned having seen my post and asked how many tickets I would need. I told her, but did not think much more about it after leaving church. I just received a message with a photo of three tickets with the caption, "Save the date. These are yours." I am so overwhelmed right now. This is just another reminder of how much God cares for not just me, but for my children. We all want to give our children the best. Perhaps the hardest part of walking out the walk I've chosen has been the feeling of not being able to "provide" in the way I would like for my children. However, through it all they have never lacked for anything. They have never gone hungry. They always had clothing so they never went cold. They have never been without a safe place to rest at night. They have never gone a day wondering if anyone loves them. When it comes to the things in life that truly matter, we live in abundance. But honestly, yes, there are some material things I'm not equipped to provide. But there are people who are, and God uses them to bless us. 

This experience has me thinking tonight about how much God truly cares for us and our children. As much as I love my girls, God loves them even more than I could ever imagine. As much as I care about the desires and wishes of their hearts, He cares even more. Not only does He care about the wishes of their hearts, but He cares about mine also. As excited as I am to watch Olivia's face as she realizes where she is going (I'm keeping it a surprise until we arrive for the show), God gets even more excited as He watches us receive the desires of our heart. Just as Olivia has no clue she is about to get her wish, I wonder how many of us are close to seeing our hearts wishes come true and have no idea of what is just around the corner. Does God sit watching us, giggling in anticipation of seeing our reactions to His good gifts? Does He tap Jesus on the shoulder, point at us and say, "Watch what's about to happen to this one! She has no idea what is about to happen! She's been waiting and praying for this for so long and it's happening!" 

"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" Matthew 7:11

What is that thing you have been praying about for years? What is that desire of your heart that to some may seem frivolous, definitely not a necessity, but is something you long to have in your life? God cares about that thing! I'm not talking about just wanting a bigger television because your neighbor just got a bigger one and you want to compete. God not only knows your hearts desires, but He also knows your motivation behind those desires. Don't give up on those desires! It may seem as if nothing is being done about those desires, but God truly cares about them and will work them all out in His perfect timing. On the other side of the story is whether God is wanting to use you to bless someone you know. Has He given you the means the bless someone who needs a reminder of how much God cares about them? If you are the one in that position, be willing to let Him use you!

No comments:

Post a Comment