Monday, October 22, 2012

Biblical Lessons on Division


Today I want to share with you some thoughts I had while reading 1 Corinthians 1:10-17

"Now I urge you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree in what you say, that there be no divisions among you, and that you be united with the same understanding and the same conviction.  For it has been reported to me about you, my brothers, by members of Chloe’s household, that there is rivalry among you.  What I am saying is this: Each of you says, “I’m with Paul,” or “I’m with Apollos,” or “I’m with Cephas,”or “I’m with Christ.”  Is Christ divided? Was it Paul who was crucified for you? Or were you baptized in Paul’s name? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one can say you were baptized in my name. I did, in fact, baptize the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t know if I baptized anyone else. For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to evangelize—not with clever words, so that the cross of Christ will not be emptied of its effect." 

Based on the current divisions within the church body, I would say Paul's words were not heeded as time passed. Perhaps the church in Corinth heeded them, but how quickly we disregarded them. There are so many things we allow to divide us within the body of Christ. Looking at the modern day church, it is apparent the spirit of division seen in Corinth is alive and well. 

Think about how often you have met someone who is a Christian and one of the first questions asked is where you attend church. Perhaps you ask this question yourself. Perhaps you have had people talk about a certain church or domination in a negative way. According to Paul we must all remember we are united "with the same understand and the same conviction." Do you associate yourself more with your church name or image than you associate yourself with the body of Christ as a whole? Can you fellowship with believers who attend a different church than you? Do you feel prideful regarding your home church when comparing to other churches? Is there boasting regarding how big the video screens are or is there boasting in how Christ is moving within the body there and the lives that are being changed? 

Let us not overlook the last line of the above verse. Paul wrote he was not sent "to baptize, but to evangelize--not with clever words, so that the cross of Christ will not be emptied of its effect." Paul is saying a gifting of clever words is emptying the power of the cross. This is evident by the number of churches headed by pastors with the gift of clever stories and anecdotes and a lack of churches with leaders who may not be as eloquent, but preach the power of the cross of Christ. Where has the power gone in our churches? Where are the miracles happening? I believe they are happening where the unfiltered word of God is preached. 

My prayer for each of you is to evaluate your own opinions towards other churches and believers who attend a different church or denomination. If there are prejudices that exist, I pray they are revealed in your heart and healing can begin. I also pray you would evaluate the reasons why these prejudices exist. Do you attend a church that frequently jokes about other church denominations? Does the leadership within your church discourage you from participating in fellowship with believers outside of your church? Pray about how to proceed if any of these apply to where you attend church. 

We will continue in 1 Corinthians tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment