Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I Don't Have Time To Maintain These Regrets

Are you maintaining regrets? Is there something in your past that is over and done, yet you relive the event, conversation, or emotions in your mind? Do you find yourself having "if only" thoughts? I think most of us have been there at some point in our lives. We recall defining moments in our lives and when they have not worked out in our favor, we live with the regret of wondering how we could have made things work out differently.

I often find myself going through this process when it comes to failed relationships. It was not until recently that God revealed to me that in most of these failed relationships, they failed not because of what I did or didn't do, but because of the hurt and decisions of the other person. I don't have a track record of choosing healthy relationships. Yet, I was expecting to have healthy results. I could choose to beat myself up for the rest of my life over the mistakes in my past, but what would that accomplish? What these mistakes have taught me is how to choose better. God has shown me how to make healthier emotional and relational choices.

One of absolute favorite worship songs is How He Loves Us. The reason I love this song is primarily for one line in the song. The lyrics says "I don't have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way He loves us." His love covers all of our past mistakes. His love washes away our regrets. If we are in Him, they are all erased. He remembers them no more, so why do we "maintain" them?

"Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing. Now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know of it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." Isaiah 43:18-19

We serve the God who created the universe. We serve the God who can make a river flow in the desert. If you are maintaining your journey in a wilderness, trust in the One who can make a road out. Don't settle for simply maintaining in a place of your regrets! My prayer for you today is for revelation of areas in your life you have been "maintaining". I pray He reveals to you events, relationships, and conversations that you have been holding onto, but He is waiting to heal. He is ready to do a new thing!



**Here is a link to a great version of the song I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoC1ec-lYps"

No comments:

Post a Comment